What is Facebook?
Click here to read the full article.
Where to Start?
Here are two screencast tutorials exploring how to create a Facebook Group and how we could use it to facilitate learning (needs to be updated):
Facebook for Learning?
- University Page - Harvard University
- Facebook in Education
- Facebook - Academic Research
- IMU E-Learning
A Few Tips Before Starting:
- Create a separate account just for your courses.
- Manage privacy settings.
- Ask students to put you on limited access to their pages.
- Create lists.
- Get over the term "friend" inviting atmosphere.
Useful Facebook tools (apps)?
This app will automatically update your Facebook status from Twitter.
SlideShare offers an easy way to create and share presentations on Facebook.
- Google Reader
Show your shared items to friends on Facebook with the Google Reader app.
Share your life with your friends through written entries. You can tag your friends in notes, and they can leave comments. You can even import your blog postings so that they appear on the Notes page.
- Mathematical Formulas
You can find and share mathematical formulas and solutions with this application.
- Study Groups
Study Groups makes collaborating on group projects a snap.
Take quick and easy polls among your group with this app.
- Webinaria Screencast Recorder
You’ll be able to record and share video using this app.
Translate, review, and vote on translations on Facebook using this application.
Get an easy way to find information with this app on Facebook.
The WorldCat app will help you perform research and search your library’s collection from within Facebook.
Instead of Facebook, Why Not…
"While Facebook is a goldmine for connecting people and having social fun, Linkedin is the present and future goldmine for connecting students and ideas to the corporate world."
- Zaid Ali Alsagoff
More Facebook Tips?
- How to use Facebook for Social Learning (Jane Hart)
- Facebook (Paul's E-Learning Resources)
- 100 Ways you should be using Facebook in your classroom
- A Teachers Guide to Using Facebook
- Facebook Groups Vs Pages: The Definitive Guide
- The Facebook Classroom: 25 Facebook Apps That Are Perfect for Online Education